Mental Health Resources

When to Call for Mental Health Problems1


Call 911 Now

  • Physical harm or abuse is occurring now. Reason: police are needed.
  • Child is threatening serious harm to others now. Reason: police are needed.
  • Child has attempted or is threatening suicide now

Call Doctor or Seek Care Now

  • Child abuse concerns and no physical findings. You can also call your local Child Protection Services.
  • Needs mental health services and symptoms are urgent. You can also call a local mental health resource.


Contact Doctor Within 24 Hours

  • Substance abuse or alcohol abuse suspected, but no symptoms now
  • Symptoms are constant and keep patient from doing their normal tasks of daily living
  • Needs mental health services and symptoms are not urgent. You can also call a local mental health resource.

Contact Doctor During Office Hours

  • Common behavior problems (such as temper tantrums)
  • Toilet training problems
  • Sleep problems
  • Eating problems
  • School problems
  • You have other questions or concerns


Self Care at Home

  • Needs a resource or info on getting help for a mental health problem – Scroll down for more resources

Mental Health Resources 2

If you believe you or your child might benefit from the services of a mental health professional, consider using these resources to locate the services you need.

Your Primary Care Physician (PCP)

If you are part of an HMO or other managed care insurance plan, your primary physician can refer you to a specialist or therapist.

Your insurance provider

Contact your insurance company or “behavioral health care organization” for a list of mental health care providers included in your insurance plan.

SAMHSA’s Mental Health Services Locator

For information about mental health resources and services.

SAMHSA Locator

National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN)

for a list of all NCTSN-affiliated centers by state.

Find the nearest center

District branches of the American Psychiatric Association (APA)

for names of APA members in your area

Find Your ADA district branch

Teaching Hospitals and Medical Schools

The psychiatry or psychology department at a teaching hospital or medical school in your community.

National Association of Social Workers

Register of Clinical Social Workers.

View the register

American Psychological Association (APA)

for a list of psychologists in your area: Call 1-800-964-2000 

Access APA’s list online.

Mental Health America (MHA)

 for links to local affiliates around the country and their resources for finding treatment

Access Resources

American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP)

American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) for general information for families and their Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist Finder.

Psychiatrist Finder

International Society of Traumatic Stress Studies (ISTSS)

for resources and their Find a Clinician tool.

Find a Clinician

Kids COPES (Community Outreach Psychiatric Emergency Services)

COPES , a free and confidential 24/7 telephone crisis line and mobile crisis service, provides emotional support to children and adults in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. We can also work with family members, friends, schools, law enforcement, and other professionals to ensure safe resolutions and intervention plans are put in place.

COPES Crisis Line

If you or someone you know is in crisis, it is easy to reach out for help. Please call COPES at 918.744.4800. A trained mental health professional is there 24/7 to provide crisis support. We are a local provider for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.

COPES - Mobile Crisis Response

If you need face-to-face help, we can come to you where ever it may be – home, school, work or in the community. Our 24/7 COPES mobile response team specializes in crisis management through immediate crisis assessment, intervention, stabilization, follow-up, and linkage to community resources and mental health care.


Your adolescent will complete a computer-based survey of mental health concerns on a laptop. If a screener identifies a mental health concern, including suicidal thoughts or behavior, the screener will contact you to work through a plan to connect your teen with the necessary support and treatment. Our screener will continue to provide support to your family until your teen engages in treatment if you choose to seek counseling.

Within our Tulsa and Oklahoma City offices, our TeenScreen staff offer by-appointment-only screenings.


Mental Health Screening


1 this health information is for educational purposes only. You, the reader, assume full responsibility for how you choose to use it.

2 Westview Pediatric Care is not a crisis center. No official endorsement by Westview Pediatric Care for the information on this site is intended. The materials contained on this site are not meant to serve as medical advice or to replace consultation with your physician or mental health professional. Information about any diagnosis or treatment that appears on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a physical or mental health problem without consulting a qualified professional. You should consult your healthcare provider about your personal questions or health concerns.

Links to external websites are provided for convenience of reference only. If you or your child are experiencing urgent medical or psychiatric concerns, you should dial 911 or 211 to locate a local emergency agency to assist. We are unable to respond to messages requesting referrals, treatment or clinical consultations from individuals who are not our patients.